While the SP-8B and SP-5B offer as much or more bass response as you'll find in any monitors of similar size, the addition of an SP-8S subwoofer puts 120 watts of truly bone-shaking bass in your face. In fact, so many consumers have subwoofers that you're not really mixing accurately without having a sub yourself. M-Audio's unique Stereo Bass Management System splits the signal at the variable crossover frequency, routing everything below to the sub and everything above to the mains. The SP-8S is so affordable that it also makes an excellent companion to other monitors as well.
What's Stereo Bass Management?
When subwoofers are added to many systems, all frequencies are routed to both the main monitors and the sub. The sub typically has a low-pass filter to roll off the highs-as does the SP-8S. The problem is that both the main monitors and the sub are still trying to put out the same low frequencies, thereby compromising fidelity. Our Stereo Bass Management System solves that and delivers optimal quality. The SP-8S accommodates the stereo outputs from your mixer, and your main monitors then connect to outputs on the sub. The SP-8S's internal crossover network splits the signal at a user-defined crossover frequency (50-180Hz), routing everything below it to the internal sub and everything above it the main outputs. This significantly improves fidelity because the sub and mains aren't tripping over each other to reproduce the same frequency-and each component only has to reproduce frequencies to which it is ideally suited.
- Type: Bass-reflex powered subwoofer
- Woofer Driver : 8-inch mineral-filled polypropylene cone with high-temperature voice coil and damped rubber surround
- Crossover Frequency: Adjustable 50Hz - 180Hz
- Input Sensitivity: 89dB
- Amplifier Power : 100W @100Hz, 4 ohm, 0.1% THD
- Dynamic Power : 120W
- S/N Ratio : > 100dB below full output, 100Hz
- Input Connectors : Two XLR balanced inputs; two TRS balanced/ unbalanced inputs
- Output Connectors : Two XLR balanced outputs for satellites, one XLR balanced output for additional subwoofer
- Controls : Level; Phase; Subwoofer Frequency; Satellite Frequency
- Switches : Auto on/off; Satellite high-pass output bypass
- Input Impedance : 20k ohms balanced, 10k ohms unbalanced
- Input Sensitivity : 150mV input produces full output with volume control at maximum
- Protection : Over temperature, turn-on/off transient, subsonic filter, external mains fuse,ALC (avoid from hard clipping)
- Indicator : Power On/ Stand-by (red) or Protection (Amber)
- Power Requirements: Factory programmed for either 115V ~50/60Hz, 230V~50/60Hz or 100V~50/60Hz; powered via detachable 3-circuit line cord
- Cabinet: Vinyl-laminated MDF
- Dimensions: 15.6 in. (h) x 10.63 in. (w) x 12 in. (d)
This item is new stock and comes complete in box with manufacturers warranty and manuals.
(within the Continental United States only)